Monday, January 31, 2011

Cake For A Happy Day

As a newlywed nearly 35 years ago my husband and I went to a church function where they served a cake that is still to this day the best cake I've ever put in my mouth. It makes you want to put on a happy face, do a happy dance and happily not worry about the calories - not because there aren't any, but just because you don't even care. So here I'm sharing my beloved recipe with you!

Happy Day Cake (that's the real name I got for it 35 years ago)

Mix together:
2 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups sugar

Add:
1/2 cup oil
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla (I add a little extra)
2 eggs

Blend briefly and then mix for no more than 2 min.

Bake at 375 for 25 - 35 min. You can use a 9x13 cake pan or make into cupcakes. I only baked mine 25 min. Avoid over baking. Start checking at 25 min. - when toothpick comes out clean from the center - it's done.

Penucha Frosting
Melt together:
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar

Boil for 2 minutes
Add:
1/4 cup milk (it will sizzle and almost smell burnt)

Boil again until mixed and all one color.
Cool to lukewarm
Beat in 2 cups powdered sugar until smooth. Pour/spread over cake right away.

HAPPY~HAPPY~HAPPY~HAPPY~HAPPY~HAPPY~HAPPY~HAPPY~HAPPY~HAPPY

1 comment:

  1. i could use a piece of this for a happy day in colorado!

    ReplyDelete