Friday, October 1, 2010

Fall into Chilly/Chili

Well, it was in the 50's this morning in Nashville. Fall is in the air. YEAH!! With a record number of 90 plus days this year I don't know anyone who is not ready for some cooler weather. Yesterday I planned to make a crockpot full of chili. The plan was to have it for lunch/dinner during the afternoon and evening of football that I knew would be streaming through our flats screen. A pleasant surprise influx of daughters, son-in-laws and granddog handily polished off the chili, leaving a mere cup container for leftovers. It was wonderful and fun to have everyone in the house and my heart was overflowing.

I had a little moment as I pulled a blank recipe card from the cupboard. My mom had given them to me umpteen years ago and somehow there are still blank ones floating around my recipe box. My mom is gone now and I miss her. I handed the card to Jill, who wanted my Chili recipe, letting her know that she was getting a bonus in having the card that came from her Grandma.
and the recipe that is mine. She smiled.

So here it is....enjoy.
Betsy's Chili - A big crockpot full!!

2 lbs. ground beef, browned with onion to taste
2 large cans tomato sauce
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 can Rotel
1 can each, undrained; kidney beans, black beans, great northern beans
2 packets Chili Seasoning mix
Hot sauce to taste or omit if you're a wimp

The secret is to cook on high for several hours, stirring to keep it from sticking to bottom, then reduce to low/warm and cook UNCOVERED to let it thicken and the flavors meld together.
Simple and delicious!!


No comments:

Post a Comment